London’s 1,667 PCSOs could provide preventative fire safety and first-response medical care
PCSOs should be given fire safety and first-response medical training to become Tri-Service Safety Officers, suggests a new report by Conservative London Assembly member Tony Arbour.
The report, Tri-Service: Broadening the role of London’s PCSOs, suggests officers could provide initial support before the arrival of paramedics, as well as offering preventative fire safety advice in their communities.
Tony Arbour, GLA Conservative London Assembly member, said;
“There’s nothing worse than wasted potential, and PCSOs can do more for London. Around the country, PCSO’s are already training to provide fire safety advice and emergency medical care – London should be doing the same. By including PCSOs in training already taking place across London, we could easily create Tri-Service Officers, giving London additional fire safety and lifesaving support. This isn’t about replacing roles, this is about strengthening local services. The future of our emergency services is co-responding, and this is a real way to implement that today.”
The report also suggests PCSOs could assist Local Authority Enforcement Officers and Trading Standards to help with more local issues from flyposting and littering to doorstep fraudsters.
The report suggests including PCSOs in existing training already being provided to the public service, keeping this program cost neutral. By targeting key trial Boroughs these Tri-Service Officers can be rolled out over time.
To read the full report visit http://glaconservatives.co.uk/ts
The report: “Tri-Service: Broadening the role of London’s PCSOs” can be accessed at: www.glaconservatives.co.uk/ts/
Or to save it right click 'save as' on this link www.glaconservatives.co.uk/ts/
· Fire safety training would be focused on preventive measures, for example helping identify the most vulnerable people and areas for the local fire brigade to address.
· PCSOs already receive basic first aid training, but the report suggests extending this training into lifesaving interventions such as the use of defibrillators.
- Tower Hamlets electoral fraud: Police and Crime committee & chair @SteveO_Connell, helps push new investigation https://t.co/c1qYYblsrF
- Bad landlords are thriving because of the shortage of housing the Mayor is not addressing @AndrewBoff @BBCLondonNews https://t.co/txKyHRB40d
- RT @KeithPrinceAM: Campaigning I Hammersmith this evening with @Assembly_Tories https://t.co/TK1VIvcXzs