Andrew Boff: Councils pushing families into high rises causes isolation and cripples communities
25th April 2013: London Assembly Member Andrew Boff will be calling for an end to councils housing families in tower blocks at today’s Housing and Regeneration Committee meeting.
Andrew will ask Mayor Sir Steve Bullock, Executive Head of Housing, London Councils and other committee guests to confirm the long term costs of housing tenants in tower blocks, as well as the impacts on quality of life, compared to low rise housing.
“In the 21st century, in a highly developed city such as London, it is nothing short of a scandal that some councils are still pushing families into tower blocks. Tower blocks fail to create strong communities, lead to isolation and a poor standard of living. Families with children need gardens and neighbours they can interact with. It is time for all London councils to commit to ending this practice once and for all.”
• The Housing and Regeneration Committee takes place at City Hall on Thursday 25th April at 10:00
• Andrew Boff is Housing spokesman for the GLA Conservatives and author of ‘Radically Normal: Olympic Park Housing’. The report can be accessed at: www.glaconservatives.co.uk/rn
- RT @HarrowWestCA: Action day in #Harrow West today. @HAConservatives. Strong support for @Theresa_May in this constituency #ge2017 https://…
- Some strange explanations given for Tube station closures. @Tony_Devenish https://t.co/7r0WyNhsWj
- .@Tony_Devenish found burnt toast was among reasons for 1,000 tube station closures in three years in his constitue… https://t.co/DaSAEgrvZ9