Thinking Outside the Hive
New report recommends that Mayor uses his schemes for new park space and tree planting to create insect friendly environment to help sustain resurgent Bee population.
A new report “Thinking Outside the Hive: supporting London’s pollinators” is proposing a number of recommendations to help sustain the increase in Bees and other pollinating insects in the capital. Research carried out shows that there are plenty of Honeybees in London, but a shortage of the right type of plants for them to pollinate. The report suggests the following recommendations:
- The Mayor’s Pocket Parks scheme that provides grants for communities to develop neglected areas into green spaces should encourage those applying for cash to incorporate block planting that benefits pollinators.
- Encourage London’s borough councils to use specifically insect-friendly tree species as part of the Mayor’s Street Trees scheme.
- Help pro-pollinator planting by creating a single online resource that compiles a list of variety of plant and tree species and which insects they support.
Author of the report James Cleverly, Conservative London Assembly Member said:
“Our research shows that the number of pollinating insects such as Honeybees are showing healthy numbers. What needs to be worked on is getting the right mix of plants to ensure that the increase in insect numbers is sustained over the long term. The Mayor and the boroughs must use their joint clout to facilitate the growing of trees and other plants that will support the insects and cement the view that London leads the country in urban wildlife protection”
Click here to download the report
Or can be accessed or shared with www.glaconservatives.co.uk/to
- RT @HarrowWestCA: Action day in #Harrow West today. @HAConservatives. Strong support for @Theresa_May in this constituency #ge2017 https://…
- Some strange explanations given for Tube station closures. @Tony_Devenish https://t.co/7r0WyNhsWj
- .@Tony_Devenish found burnt toast was among reasons for 1,000 tube station closures in three years in his constitue… https://t.co/DaSAEgrvZ9