– Mayor set to condemn Trump’s travel ban at tonight’s event
– Facing calls to also criticise attending countries that ban Israeli citizens
The Mayor of London is set to host representatives of eleven countries that ban Israeli passport holders, hours after rightly condemning Donald Trump’s own travel ban.
Sadiq Khan will use tonight’s gathering at City Hall, where ambassadors and senior dignitaries from more than 100 countries will be in attendance, to criticise the new US President’s strict immigration policy.
London Assembly member Andrew Boff believes the Mayor should use the platform to also condemn the eleven represented countries that ban entry for citizens carrying Israeli passports.
“I fully support the Mayor’s condemnation of President Trump’s divisive travel ban but he should also be willing to condemn those countries that discriminate against citizens from Israel – particularly when he is hosting their representatives at a drinks reception at City Hall.
“Discriminatory immigration policies do nothing but fuel hatred and bigotry in our society and it is important that politicians and world leaders speak out against such ignorant policies, wherever in the world they are being enforced.
“I sincerely hope the Mayor will use tonight’s reception to highlight the discrimination faced by Israeli citizens in the eleven countries represented at the event.”
-The following countries at the Mayor’s reception do not allow entry to Israeli passport holders. The underlined ones also do not allow entry to anyone who has travelled to Israel. Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Pakistan, Sudan, United Arab Emirates, Yemen
- .@GarethBaconAM: 'Liz Peace needs to manage the 40 per cent budget cut imposed on OPDC by Sadiq Khan in February' https://t.co/cEEI7ib1me
- Politicians relaunch campaign to see Kingston station rezoned as Chinese firm completes South West Trains takeover https://t.co/5iY8CcLc3C
- Bank branch closures force Londoners to fork out £18MILLION a year in cash machine fees. @ShaunBaileyUK @TheSun https://t.co/xBG8PeIeZd