- Five trial boroughs are now worst performing in London
- Barking and Dagenham performance drops almost 30 per cent
- Pathfinders merger scheme started in April and could be rolled out across London
Police emergency response times have dramatically worsened in five boroughs merged under a trial conducted by the Mayor of London, latest figures show. Havering, Barking and Dagenham, Redbridge, Camden and Islington are now the five worst performing boroughs in London for emergency response times following the implementation of the Pathfinders scheme.
Prior to the start of the trial in April, just two of the boroughs, Havering and Redbridge, were in the bottom five. The Metropolitan Police wants boroughs to respond to at least 90 per cent of emergency calls within its target time of 15 minutes.
Latest figures up until August 31 show that Barking and Dagenham’s performance dropped from 82.4 per cent in 2016 to 54.5 per cent under the Pathfinders trial, which started in April. Over the same time period, Havering saw a drop from 74 to 52 per cent, Redbridge from 76 to 57 per cent, Camden from 88 to 72 per cent and Islington from 83 to 75 per cent.
The boroughs also make up five of the six worst performing boroughs for responses to less urgent ‘significant priority’ calls. The cost-cutting mergers are being trialled by Sadiq Khan with a view to potentially rolling the scheme out across London.
London Assembly member Keith Prince, who requested the figures, said: “The data coming back from the borough merger trials is very worrying indeed.
“There have long been concerns about the impact these mergers could have on front line policing and from the evidence we have seen so far, performances are plummeting across the board.
“This cannot continue and the Mayor needs to give reassurances that this scheme will not be rolled out to other areas until these issues have been fully addressed.”
- Keith Prince is the Conservative London Assembly member for Havering and Redbridge
- Several borough leaders have previously expressed concern about the Pathfinder trials: http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/council-chiefs-are-nervous-about-met-plans-to-scrap-borough-commanders-admits-londons-deputy-mayor/